Industrial Hemp Growers


The Governor has recognized industrial hemp as a promising new economic opportunity for farmers and signed legislation to solidify the status of industrial hemp as an agricultural commodity under New York Agriculture and Markets Law. 

New York State is administering an Industrial Hemp Agricultural Research Pilot Program, authorized by New York State law and 7 U.S.C. § 5940. The Department invites grower applications from individuals and businesses for the Industrial Hemp Agricultural Research Pilot Program.  


Before applying, first read the Program Guidance and sample Research Partner Agreements to ensure that you understand all the legal and programmatic requirements for participation in the Industrial Hemp Agricultural Research Pilot Program.

Next, complete the program application. Submit an original copy, all required attachments, and the non-refundable $500 application fee to the Department.

Incomplete applications will be rejected.

Once an applicant submits a completed application to the Department with a non-refundable $500 application fee, the next steps are as follows:

  1. The Department reviews the application and notifies the applicant of the decision.
  2. The Department will send approved applicants a Research Partner Agreement to be signed and notarized by the applicant.
  3. The applicant will return two signed and notarized Research Partner Agreements to the Department.
  4. Upon receipt, the Department will issue and mail to the Research Partner (formerly the applicant) an official Industrial Hemp Research Partner Authorization and one copy of the fully executed Research Partner Agreement.

Additional Requirements

Authorized industrial hemp growers must submit the forms included in the 2020 Industrial Hemp Grower Reporting Package, in accordance with the directions on page 1 of the document. 2019 forms will not be accepted after June 30, 2020.

Included in the reporting package is:

  1. a planting report form due within 15 days of each planting;
  2. a pre-harvest report form due at least 20 days prior to each harvest;
  3. a post-harvest report form due within 15 days of each harvest completion; and
  4. an annual report form due by the anniversary of your authorization date.

Hemp growers applying to sell live hemp plants must also be registered as a nursery grower. Please note that live hemp plants may only be sold to authorized hemp growers.

Contact the Industrial Hemp Pilot Program (growers)

Contact us by phone:
Contact us by email:
Mailing Address:

The New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets

Division of Plant Industry

10B Airline Drive

Albany, New York 12235