The New York State Apple Marketing Order (AMO) Advisory Board is seeking proposals to enhance the competitive position of New York’s apple industry, identify new or emerging market opportunities, or develop innovative promotional initiatives to increase the sale and consumption of New York apples. The proposal(s) selected through this request would be funded by the AMO, which collects approximately $2 million annually from apple growers.
The Board is seeking interest from organizations capable of performing market research or those with experience implementing marketing strategies to increase produce sales. If interested in applying, an organization must submit a detailed proposal to the Department.
The Board is especially interested in projects that:
- Identify East Coast U.S. market opportunities for New York apples and offer strategies to better position New York apples in these markets;
- Determine the apple purchasing preferences of larger retailers and what drives their decisions;
- Explore market opportunities for fresh or processed New York apples procured by schools and/or institutions;
- Identify market opportunities created by the growing craft beverage industry;
- Identify underserved export markets and evaluate the prospects for successfully positioning New York apples to meet these opportunities; and
- Provide up-to-date nutritional information regarding consumption of apples and strategies for communicating this to consumers.
Project proposals may not promote a specific brand or trade name. Final reports and/or research papers assembled through approved projects may be made publicly available.
Find more information on the proposal requirements. For additional information, or to submit a proposal, email [email protected] or call 518-485-7306. Applications must be submitted by April 12, 2020 to be considered for this funding.
The AMO Advisory Board is a group of New York apple industry representatives, who are appointed by the Commissioner of the NYS Department of Agriculture and Markets. Its purpose is to provide the Department with recommendations on annual priorities and funding levels for contracting. Annually, the New York State Apple Marketing Order program provides approximately $2 million in collected grower assessment funds for efforts to promote, advertise and/or conduct market research on behalf of New York’s apple industry.
Contact the Press Office
The New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets
10B Airline Drive
Albany, New York 12235
The Great New York State Fair
581 State Fair Boulevard
Syracuse, New York 13209