The New York Food for New York Families Program will maintain and improve food and agricultural supply chain resiliency in New York State. This funding is provided by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Local Food Purchase Assistance Cooperative Agreement Program (LFPA). The goals of this program are to:
- Support local and traditionally disadvantaged farmers/producers by building and expanding economic opportunities and creating new marketing channels.
- Establish and broaden partnerships between New York farmers/producers and the food distribution community and local food networks to ensure distribution of fresh nutritious foods in rural, remote, and/or underserved areas.
- Improve food access for underserved communities by tailoring distribution to unique local challenges.
Over $40 million has been awarded to a diverse group of 102 organizations across the state, including food banks and pantries, schools and universities, farm collectives, medical centers, and a variety of non-profit organizations, to implement projects that purchase New York-grown food products and distribute them to underserved communities. It also provides technical assistance to help growers sell into the New York Food for New York Families program. Food purchases will support local farmers, including traditionally disadvantaged farmers, help producers access new markets, fill gaps in the supply and distribution chain, and increase access of underserved communities to local food. The complete list of awardees is available here.
What is considered a NY food product?
Fresh or processed domestic food produced by a New York grower or producer.
Eligible products include: fresh produce, processed food (with at least 51% of NY ingredients, and the remaining 49% of ingredients sourced within 400 miles), meat, dairy, eggs, seafood, and fish.
Ineligible products include: alcoholic beverages and coffee.
Are you a farmer/producer looking to sell into the New York Foods for New York Families Program?
The first step is to submit an Attestation Form for your business.
Businesses must be approved prior to participating in the program by the NYS Department of Agriculture and Markets and have signed this attestation authenticating NYS sourced products being distributed into the program.
Resources for Sourcing New York Food
Organizations on this list are suggested contacts only and do not represent all of the options for purchasing local food in New York. All award recipients will be responsible for verifying with the vendor that the products purchased are sourced from New York.
- New York State Farm Directory
- 30% NY Initiative New York Product Database
- LFPA Outreach Page
- NYS MWBE Farm Directory (search using terms such as ‘Farm’ or ‘Grower’)
- NYS Grown and Certified Website
- USDA Local Food Directories
Program Resources for Grantees
Are you already a participant in the program and need a copy of one of our program forms? Program forms and forms submission guidance are linked below.
- Program Forms Submission Guidance
- Producer Attestation Form – Completed and signed by a farmer, producer, or business selling into the program.
- Distributor Form – Completed by distributors each time they deliver products.
- Product Formulation Statement – Completed by processor for any processed product that is sold into the program.
Businesses Currently Participating in NYF NYF
Available to grantees upon request
USDA AMS General Grant Terms and Conditions.
Please see the section on allowable and unallowable costs when planning your project.
- AMS Grants Division General Terms and Conditions
A second application for funding will be announced on the Department's website in the coming months.