The Advisory Council on Agriculture was formed in 1971 by the passage of the Agricultural Protection Law. The Council provides advice and recommendations to the Commissioner of Agriculture and Markets and other state leaders on matters affecting agricultural districts and farmland protection, as well as any other issue of importance to agriculture in the state.
The Council’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to, oversight over:
- the creation and review of Agricultural Districts;
- right to farm law cases;
- farmland protection grant applications;
- agricultural assessment values;
- eminent domain and other public acquisitions;
- notice of intent cases; and
- sound agricultural practice opinions.
The Council meets a minimum of once per year and provides and annual report of its activities to the Governor and legislature. Department staff assist the Council in arranging meetings, setting agendas, researching matters of interest to its membership, and preparing its annual report.
The members are:
- Neal Rea, Chair, Cambridge, New York 12816
- Frank Beyrodt, Jr., Vice Chair, Baiting Hollow, New York 11933
- Jim Bittner, Appleton, New York 14008
- Samuel Casella, Canandaigua, New York 14424
- David Haight, Saratoga Springs, New York 12866
- Amy Machamer, Holley, New York 14470
- Brian Reeves, Baldwinsville, New York 13027
- Lesa Sobolewski, Avon, New York 14414
- Kimberly Ann Wagner, Marlboro, New York 12542