The Advisory Council on Agriculture (ACA) was established by Chapter 79 of the Laws of 1980 to advise and make recommendations to state agencies on state government plans, policies, and programs affecting farming and the agricultural industry of the state. The Council provides advice and recommendations to the Commissioner of Agriculture and Markets and other state leaders on matters affecting agricultural districts and farmland protection, as well as any other issue of importance to agriculture in the state.
The Council’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to, oversight over:
- the creation and review of Agricultural Districts;
- right to farm law cases;
- farmland protection grant applications;
- agricultural assessment values;
- eminent domain and other public acquisitions;
- notice of intent cases; and
- sound agricultural practice opinions.
The Council meets a minimum of once per year and provides and annual report of its activities to the Governor and legislature. Department staff assist the Council in arranging meetings, setting agendas, researching matters of interest to its membership, and preparing its annual report.
The members are:
- Neal Rea, Chair, Cambridge, New York 12816
- Frank Beyrodt, Jr., Vice Chair, Baiting Hollow, New York 11933
- Jim Bittner, Appleton, New York 14008
- Samuel Casella, Canandaigua, New York 14424
- David Haight, Saratoga Springs, New York 12866
- Amy Machamer, Holley, New York 14470
- Brian Reeves, Baldwinsville, New York 13027
- Lesa Sobolewski, Avon, New York 14414
- Kimberly Ann Wagner, Marlboro, New York 12542
No members of this board receive payment of expenses or other compensation in the performance of their duties as members, however, may be eligible to reimbursement of their ordinary and necessary travel expenses.
Information about the next meeting of the Advisory Council on Agriculture will be posted here when it is available.
The most recent meeting of the Advisory Council on Agriculture was held on July 28, 2022, at 10:00 am. The meeting agenda is available below. View a recording of the July meeting. If applicable, additional materials will be posted here when they are available.
Minutes from the December 2020 meeting are also available below.