Per New York's Kosher Law Protection Act of 2004, requires certain businesses and individuals to register with the Department. To find out more about the registry, or to find a registered establishment, please email [email protected].
Kosher Food Registration
Packaged and Non-prepackaged Food Processors
Manufacturers, producers, packers, and distributors of food which is certified as kosher must register with the Department. This includes food establishments, retailers, restaurants, caterers, and food carts who sell food prepared on their premises or under their control which is represented as kosher.
- If you are required to register with the Department, you must complete the Registration Form. You will be asked to provide information based on the food that you work with.
- If the food is in packaged form, the manufacturer or distributor must register the name, address, phone number, and email address of the body certifying the food as kosher.
If the food is not in package form, the person who manufactures, processes, packs, or sells the food must register the name, address, phone number and email address of the body certifying the food as kosher.
Individuals, companies, partnerships, associations, or organizations who certify entities as kosher are required to register as certifiers including a statement of qualification.
Firms that utilize their own employees or personnel to certify product need to have those employees complete the statement of qualification as well.
Food establishments, food retailers, restaurants, caterers, and food carts who sell food prepared on their premises or under their control which is represented as kosher must post a kosher registration form at their business in a location readily visible by consumers. They must also register with the Department.
Registered Kosher Establishments
Below is a list of registered Kosher establishments. This list is updated weekly. Check back frequently to see the most up-to-date list.
Registered Kosher Certifiers
Below is a list of registered Kosher certifiers. This list is updated weekly. Check back frequently to see the most up-to-date list.
Posting of Registration Form
Food establishments and caterers selling or offering for sale food or food products prepared on the premises or under their control that are represented as kosher shall post a "kosher registration form" in a location readily visible to the consumer.
Retail stores that sell both kosher and non-kosher foods require a window sign with block letters at least four inches in height that states “KOSHER AND NON-KOSHER MEAT SOLD HERE” or “KOSHER AND NON-KOSHER FOOD SOLD HERE.”
Wholesale and retail firms that purchase kosher meat and poultry or food products that include meat and poultry shall retain the invoices or bill of sales for those products for a period of two years.
Meat and poultry, or food products that include meat and poultry, are exempt from this record keeping if the manufacturer’s or packer’s name, address, and certifying person are listed on the package containers.
Any advertisement for food or food products representing the products as kosher shall identify the name of the person or entity certifying the product as kosher.
For Members of the Kosher Food Industry
The responsibility for registering the person or organization who certifies a food as kosher and for filing information about products offered for sale as kosher depends on whether or not the food is in package form. A food is in package form when it is not intended to be consumed at the point of manufacture and is packaged in advance of sale in units suitable for retail sale. Read below for more information about the different filing and registration requirements:
- If the food is in package form, the producer or distributor must register the name, address, and phone number of the person who certified the food as kosher with the Department.
- If the food is not in package form, the person who manufactures, processes, packs, or sells it must register the name, address, phone number and email address of the kosher certifier with the Department.
- Kosher certifiers who certify non-packaged food must file with the Department a statement of their qualifications to provide kosher certification. The statement may include background, training, education, experience, and any other information that shows the kosher certifier's qualifications.
- Food establishments, restaurants, and caterers that prepare and sell food as kosher on their premises must file the name, address, phone number and email address of the kosher certifier with the Department. They must also complete a “Kosher Registration Form,” file it with the Department and post the form in their establishment in a location readily visible to consumers.
If any of the information filed with the Department changes, the person who filed it must notify the Department of the changes as quickly as possible.
Filing must be done 30 days in advance of offering or distributing food as kosher in New York.
Please download the registration documents below or you may register online here.
Kosher Registration and Certification Documents
Contact the Division of Kosher Law Enforcement
Contact us by phone:
Contact us by email:
55 Hanson Place
Brooklyn, New York 11217