Two pigs peeking their pink noses through a wooden fence.

Pigs, Hogs, & Other Swine

Pigs, Hogs, & Other Swine


There are a variety of diseases that swine owners should be aware of. These include:

  • Porcine Epidemic Diarrhea
  • Brucellosis
  • Pseudorabies
  • Porcine Reproductive Respiratory Syndrome
  • Influenza
  • African Swine Fever

Visit Cornell University and the USDA for more information about each of these diseases.

Diseases need to be reported to the Department when they meet certain criteria.


Read these documents to understand the identification requirements for swine in New York State. In addition, visit the Import & Export section below for more information on moving swine interstate.

Import & Export


The requirements for importing swine into New York State are:

  • Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI) issued by an accredited veterinarian in the 30 days immediately preceding entry into New York.
  • Proper identification by a USDA approved ear tag (840/124, NUES, or PIN).
    • All additional man-made identification must be recorded on the CVI
    • Ear notches and tattoos may be official for interstate movement if the notches and/or tattoos are recorded in breed registry papers that accompany the animal.

There are no testing requirements for swine originating in the United States.

There is no permit number required for importation into New York State.

Special Considerations

New York City

In addition to New York State import requirements, animals whose destination is within New York City may be subject to New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene regulations. Swine entering New York City for any reason must meet these regulations. Please visit their website or call (646) 364-1783.


Livestock moved into New York for immediate slaughter must be slaughtered within six days (144 hours). Animals imported for this purpose must be accompanied by a certificate of veterinary inspection, completed by a USDA Category 2 accredited veterinarian, or an owner-shipper statement (formerly known as waybill).

Swine entering the state for immediate slaughter shall be consigned only to an approved slaughtering establishment, or to a commission sale firm designated as specifically approved by the USDA to accept swine moved interstate.

Learn more


The USDA has jurisdiction over international movement of animals. Any questions about international movement of animals or animal products should be directed to a USDA office. Contact the New York USDA office.


Emergency Information

See emergency import and export information.

Fair Information

Information about the 2022 fair admission requirements will be posted below when it is available, as well as on our Fairs page.

Programs & Permits

Domestic Animal Health Permits

The Department is concerned with animal disease control and traceability in all animals, including swine. To provide adequate control of infectious and communicable diseases, permits are issued to those who deal in, handle, and transport domestic animals. Any person who buys or sells swine is an animal dealer and must have a Domestic Animal Health Permit.

Permitted livestock dealers must comply with Department laws and regulations regarding record books and record keeping; identification; slaughter; import; personal use; and more.

Learn more